As a military youth, you have a lot of great potential leadership opportunities available to you. Check out the information below and see if one of these existing programs or opportunities interests you.
- Get involved with a military program. As part of a military family, you have access to a lot of great programs that can help you build confidence and leadership skills. Read the descriptions below to find out more:
- Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard Teen Leadership Summits offer a number of summits for teens each year.
- Air Force Teen Council provides an opportunity for teens to speak up about issues concerning military youth and families.
- Contact your local youth center to explore other opportunities. Youth centers sponsor events and programs designed for you, including Military Youth of the Year awards.
- Get involved in your community. There are a lot of great programs out there, such as the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, with special partnerships with the military. These programs are designed for youth and feature camps, learning opportunities, fun outings, and much more.
- Get involved at school. Your school has organizations you can join including sports teams, student council, or afterschool clubs.
- Get involved at home. It may sound strange, but volunteering to help out more at home is a great way to become a stronger leader. Volunteer to take on more responsibility during a parent's deployment and see how good it feels to be a leader within your own family!
- Check out what's available at the state level. Many states offer opportunities to participate in statewide summits or camps, but you'll have to do some research. Use the Internet or call your youth center to see what's out there.
Many of these organizations are nationwide, so if you have to move, it doesn't mean that you have to quit! Sign up in your new location as well. And remember, involvement in well known organizations looks good on college applications and job résumés!
For more information and resources to help military youth and teens navigate everything from the unique challenges of a mobile military lifestyle to managing their social lives, saving money, and going green, visit Military Youth on the Move!