Mandatory Documentation for Reimbursement of Adoption Expenses

A little boy sitting on his mother’s lap

Adoption is now more affordable thanks to the Department of Defense Adoption Reimbursement Program for military families. To use the program, be sure to keep all adoption documents and receipts and submit an application for reimbursement using DD Form 2675, to the designated Military Service POC no later than two years after the adoption is finalized. Keep in mind, the paperwork you need will vary depending on where you adopted your child.

Submit DD Form 2675 and the following supporting documentation to receive adoption reimbursement entitlements.

Domestic adoptions


out DD Form 2675 and submit it to your personnel office to finalize your adoption.

If you adopted in the United States, you'll need the following:

  • Copy of the court order showing the final adoption
  • Receipts or cancelled checks showing authorized expenses
  • Proof of adoption agency qualifications — placement agreement or letter of services

International adoptions

For foreign adoptions, you must furnish the following:

  • Copies of receipts or cancelled checks (amounts converted into U.S. dollars)
  • Proof of adoption agency qualifications
  • Translated adoption decree
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship status

Proof of U.S. citizenship status may include the following:

  • Copy of front and back of the Permanent Resident Alien Card or green card showing IR-3 code
  • Letter from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services stating child's adoption status
  • Copy of the child's U.S. passport — personal information page only
  • Copy of the child's Certificate of Citizenship

If you need help translating your adoption paperwork, reach out to Military OneSource. It provides translation of legal documents, like adoption decrees, leases, marriage licenses and school transcripts. If you request it, translations are certified, notarized and accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. You can call Military OneSource at 800-342-9647.

Submitting supporting documentation


help from Military OneSource for translating your adoption decree. Call 800-342-9647.

Following the supporting documentation process will ensure timely reimbursement. Here's what you need to do:

  • Your completed DD Form 2675 and supporting documentation should be submitted to your installation personnel office.
  • Office staff will check your paperwork to make sure all required documentation is included.
  • Personnel office staff forwards the paperwork to the Defense Finance Accounting Service.
  • Defense Finance Accounting Service is responsible for sending the reimbursement.

If you're considering adopting a child and want more information on adoption, reach out to Military OneSource for an adoption specialty consultation.


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.