Fresh breath, white teeth, able to outrun that annoyingly fit guy next to you — yup. You must be someone who doesn't use tobacco. Better finances and better health for you and your family are just the start of the many benefits of giving tobacco the boot.
Benefits of not using tobacco
Whether you quit or don't start in the first place, here are some things you can do when you say "no" to tobacco of all types:
- Save your dough. Keep hundreds of dollars in your pocket by keeping tobacco out. Tobacco's expensive. Cutting it from your budget leaves you with mega money every year. (Of course, the benefits of living tobacco-free extend way beyond your wallet, but the extra cash is nice, too.)
- Save your heart. You can have healthy blood pressure and a normal heart rate by showing tobacco the way out the door. This also helps reduce the risk of stroke.
- Save your mouth. Enjoy a lifetime of eating well when you avoid the kind of gum disease and mouth cancer tobacco can cause.
- Save your lungs. Breathe freely when you don't have to worry as much about lung disease. (You can also huff and puff a little less during PT.)
- Save your baby. You can be a hero by saying "no" to tobacco, which can cause health complications and birth defects in unborn babies.
- Save your whole family. Show your kids, spouse and everyone else how to live a healthy lifestyle so no one has to suffer the consequences of tobacco use. Be an example of healthy living by never starting or by working to quit.
- Save your sanity. You can kick addiction in the teeth when you decide tobacco isn't the way to go.
- Save your future. Choose to never use, or commit to quit. The good decision you make right now will pay off sooner rather than later.
It's so much easier to never start using tobacco than it is to fight the addiction. If you're addicted to tobacco, though, you can get treatment to help you quit. TRICARE'S Tobacco Cessation Benfits webinar can help you get started.