Think outside the box — with the help of someone who is already familiar with your next duty station. Connect with a sponsor through your Military and Family Support Center’s Sponsorship Program or with your command. You’ll be matched with a sponsor from your new unit who will answer your relocation questions and ease your transition.
Here's what you need to know about the sponsorship program:
- You'll typically be paired with a sponsor who is similar in rank and family status. If you're a parent of a toddler, for example, a fellow mom or dad will know the places for your little one to burn off energy.
- Sponsors are assigned through your unit. You can also request one through your relocation program or the Military and Family Support Center at your new installation.
- Sponsors' responsibilities and availability vary based on mission requirements at each installation.
Here are some ways your sponsor can provide assistance before, during and after your move:
- Extending a warm welcome by letter or email after hearing that you’ll be joining the installation
- Sending information about your installation, housing and community or putting you in touch with those in the know
- Answering questions you or your family may have about the new location
- Meeting you, showing you around and helping you through in-processing when you arrive
Make connections at your next installation before you've even finished packing for your move. Turn to your command or Military and Family Support Center to connect with a sponsor. You'll be settled into housing and making the most of your new area in no time.