Mandatory Documentation for Reimbursement of Adoption Expenses

If you've recently adopted a child, congratulations! Now, to be reimbursed for many of your adoption-related expenses, you'll need to submit your DD Form 2675 and supporting documentation. Whether you adopted in the United States or a foreign country, you can use the following information to get all of your paperwork completed and in order so that you can receive all of the adoption reimbursements you're entitled to.

If you adopted in the United States, you'll need the following:

  • A copy of the court order showing that the adoption is final
  • Receipts or cancelled checks that show authorized expenses
  • Proof that the adoption agency that arranged the adoption is a qualified agency (either the placement agreement from the adoption agency or a letter from the agency stating what services it provided for the adoption)

For foreign adoptions, service members must be able to furnish:

  • Copies of receipts or cancelled checks (receipts from a foreign country must be converted into U.S. dollars)
  • Proof of the qualification of the adoption agency
  • A translated adoption decree
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship status for the child of the following must be provided to prove citizenship
  • A copy of the front and back of the Permanent Resident Alien Card (green card) showing the IR-3 code
  • A letter from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services stating the child's adoption status
  • A copy of the child's U.S. passport (page with personal information only)
  • A copy of the child's Certificate of Citizenship

You should submit your completed DD Form 2675 and supporting documentation to your installation personnel office. Office staff will check to be sure all required documentation is included and will forward it to the Defense Finance Accounting Service, which is then responsible for sending the actual reimbursement funds.

You can reach out to Military OneSource for help translating your adoption paperwork. Through its document translation services, Military OneSource provides translation of many legal documents such as leases, marriage licenses, adoption paperwork and school transcripts for service members and their families. Upon request by an eligible user, translations will be certified, notarized as necessary and accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. You can reach a Military OneSource consultant by phone at 800-342-9647.


Find programs and services at your local installation.

View a directory of installations

Service members, family members, surviving family members, service providers and leaders rely on Military OneSource for policy, procedures, timely articles, cutting-edge social media tools and support. All in one place, empowering our military community.